When parents separate they need to decide how frequently a child will spend time with each parent. You will be encouraged to agree those arrangements though may need some guidance in order to reach an agreement and assistance in making representations as to what you believe is in the best interests of your child. If an agreement is reached then nothing further is required though it often helps if this is set out in writing. If there is disagreement over what arrangements are appropriate or reasonable then an application to the court for a Child Arrangements Order may be the only way of resolving matters.

A child arrangements order is an order that regulates arrangements for a child that relate to any of the following:

  • with whom a child is to live, spend time or otherwise have contact
  • when a child is to live, spend time or otherwise have contact with any person
  • to determine a specific issue relating to a child e.g. to resolve issues about a child’s upbringing, such as where a child should go to school (e.g. state or private), whether they should receive religious instruction or whether they should have a particular form of medical treatment.
  • To prohibit action in relation to a child and impose a restriction on a parent or other person caring for a child that prevents them from doing something without consent of the court e.g. to prevent a change of a child’s name or to prevent a parent from taking a child abroad.

Guidance on making an application and support throughout the process is provided in accordance with your particular circumstances.


If you would like more information and/or a written guide in relation to this please contact us.