Grandparents and Contact


When parents divorce or separate it is sometimes the case that grandparents are deliberately cut off from seeing their grandchildren. You do not have an automatic legal right to see your grandchild if a parent stops you seeing them.


There are however steps you can take. You will be encouraged first to try and agree arrangements in an informal, family-based arrangement with both parents. Mediation is another option. Support and guidance may be needed in order to reach an agreement and assistance in making representations as to what you believe is in the best interests of your grandchild.


If an agreement is reached then nothing further is required though it often helps if this is set out in writing. If there is disagreement over what arrangements are appropriate or reasonable then an application to the court for a Child Arrangements Order may be the only way of resolving matters. Unlike parents, who have an automatic right to apply to the court, grandparents initially need to apply to the court for permission to apply for a court order.


Guidance on making representations on your behalf to reach an agreement, making an application to court for permission and support throughout the process is provided in accordance with your particular circumstances.


If you would like more information and/or a written guide in relation to this please contact us.