If you are suffering from violence, threats or intimidation, psychological abuse or another’s controlling behaviour and you have taken the courageous step of seeking help to protect yourself from similar behaviour in the future there are two courses of action open to you.

The first is under Criminal Law and reporting matters to the police. Sometimes this is the right course of action and the police are available 24/7 however there are implications and you should understand what these are before you take this step.

The other is under Civil Law and involves applying to the family court for an injunction. There are two types of injunction:

  • A non-molestation order which prohibits your partner or spouse from using or threatening violence against you or your children, or intimidating, harassing or pestering you. It can contain very specific provisions depending on the particular type of harassment happening to you.
  • An occupation order which sets out who can live in the family home (or certain parts of it) and can also restrict someone from entering the area surrounding a home. An occupation order does not affect each person’s financial interest in the home, simply who can live in it.

Guidance on whether to speak to the police or to apply for an injunction and support throughout the process is provided in accordance with your particular circumstances.


If you would like more information and/or a written guide in relation to this please contact us.